Wine labels are mainly using uncoated, natural papers enriched with color print and embellishments. The producers have such pride in their products that they only want to have the best to decorate their hard work captured in the bottle.
Self-adhesive labels as such (aka ‘pressure sensitive labels’ or PSL) are made by printing onto a laminated construction of 3 layers: a release liner (otherwise known as the backing paper, carrier or glassine), a layer or adhesive and the facestock material. The laminate is printed and then converted in a roll containing the requested number of labels per roll. A web-fed process brings a high label application speed on the packaging line and allows for more embellishing processes. In addition, its flexibility of application is enormous, either during or after the filling process and on any type of surface/container just by taking another glue.
What is the value of digital printing?
There are various reasons why wine labels would be printed digitally. Firstly, front labels hold the year of production and come in different quantities per year as the harvest varies per year. Secondly, back labels need to carry the information of the importing company which could be more than one. This all leads to shorter runs of different kind of labels which are most cost-efficiently produced digital. Furthermore a growing trend of local vineyards and much more diversity in the wine market creates the need for shorter runs.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- the highest quality with the 1200 dpi print resolution
- cost efficient run-lengths of 4,000 line meter (13,000 linear ft)
- no startup costs
- instant job change-over without additional substrate waste
- ability to automate the manufacturing process (order intake, job preparation…)
Which is the preferred digital press for self-adhesive embossed wine labels?
The Xeikon CX3 digital printing press. The narrow web flagship excels in productivity and high quality printing at true 1200 dpi, built around commonly used 330 mm (13" web width):
- dry toner technology: ability to print on the broadest range of conventional materials (clear-on-clear substrate and natural papers) with the highest quality, while offering color strength
- full rotary printing: ensures a consistent image positioning on the web required for finishing
- variable repeat length: allows for the printing of any type of label length minimizing waste and maximize productivity
- high quality printing: 1200 dpi with wide color gamut and spot colors
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see an example of a full production set-up for self-adhesive embossed wine labels: a roll-to-roll Self-adhesive Label Suite with a two stage production process - (1) printing and (2) embellishing and converting. The Xeikon CX3 will create the full color graphic either in CMYK or with an extended gamut which increased the color space or with a specific customer color. The embellishment (hot foil, tactile varnish, spot varnish) is applied in an offline process inline with the converting process. It is our complete digital printing solution, which comes with all the necessary components for seamless digital label printing.