In-mould labelling is the use of plastic labels during the manufacturing of containers by blow moulding (BML), injection moulding (IML), or thermoforming processes. The label serves as the integral part of the final product, which is delivered as pre-decorated item to the packaging filling line. In-mould labels are applied at high temperature with longer cycle times which comes with its challenges. Mainly BoPP films are being used which are printed, varnished and converted into a single label. These stacks are then used during the moulding process. The fact that the label is moulded inside the container provides a no label look, ensures brand integrity on a higher level and reduces complexity in the packaging line (no decoration process).
What is the value of digital printing?
Certain markets such as oils, household, chemicals, etc. undergo a larger diversification of the product range. This results in shorter run lengths which can be more economically produced when using digital printing.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- undistinguishable quality from your flexo or offset production and as such provide a complement to flexo or offset
- provides cross-over with offset of at least 2,100 line meter (6,889 linear ft) or >70,000 labels
- no startup costs
- no job changeover costs on the same print media
- ability to print unlimited number versions in one go
Which is the preferred digital press for industrial containers?
The Xeikon 3500 digital printing press. The flagship in digital dry toner printing, which produces at true 1200 dpi and stunning speeds while offering with its has variable repeat length and digital front-end full flexibility:
- lightfast dry toner: enables to produce labels which require higher durability
- variable repeat length: allows for the printing of any type of label length minimizing waste
- web width: 508 mm (20") ensures high productivity and compatibility with conventional converting equipment
- high quality printing: 1200 dpi with wide color gamut and spot colors
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see an example of a full production set-up for industrial container labels: roll-to-roll line including an inline priming module which adds a high-quality UV or water-based coating for protection, a Xeikon 3500 digital press and a miniUCoat including a water based varnish station and rewinder suitable for widths up to 516 mm (20.3"). It is our complete digital printing solution, which comes with all the necessary components for seamless digital label printing.