According to the Book Manufacturers Institute, The State of the Book Industry 2021:
- 29 .4% of commercial printers expect the book market to grow over the next one to two
- years, while only 19 .1% expect a decline . About half (51 .5%) expect it to hold steady .
- Compared to the same time period in 2020, first quarter unit sales of printed books grew by 29 .2% .
- From 2019 to 2020, unit sales of print books rose by 8 .2%—the largest increase since 2010 .
- Total U .S . publisher sales grew by 0 .1% in 2020, but if the hardest-hit sectors—
- K–12 instruction materials and higher education course materials—are removed, then sales grew by 8 .9% .
- The industry continues to head in the direction of self-publishers, independent publishers and print-on-demand .
This translates in more opportunity for digital printing and for customized, personalized, self-published books. Shorter runs can mean shorter lead-times and the rising popularity of color content drive the need for digital printing. It allows for JIT production, versioning and quick language adaptations. Furthermore, digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- High print quality with fine line and text detail
- Ability to market to many smaller publishers/authors
- Add embellishments to covers