Chemical products (e.g. electronic cigarettes, chemicals, household chemicals, ...) require due growing legislation more printable area on which the required info can be communicated. Chemical labels are operating in harsh environments which strongly increases expectations on the inks/toner being resistant against these chemicals.
Self-adhesive labels as such (aka ‘pressure sensitive labels’ or PSL) are made by printing onto a laminated construction of 3 layers: a release liner (otherwise known as the backing paper, carrier or glassine), a layer or adhesive and the facestock material. The laminate is printed and then converted in a roll containing the requested number of labels per roll. This web-fed decoration process allows for high labelling speeds on the packaging line, no label look feeling and enable the opportunity for more embellishing processes. In addition, its flexibility of application is enormous, either during or after the filling process and on any type of surface/container.
Here you can see an industrial chemical label sample printed on a Xeikon PX3000 digital press.
- Print dimensions: 420 x 145 mm
- Substrate: Synthetic substrate to ensure conformability of the label on the container and provide a uniform gloss
- Toner/Ink: Chemical resistant PantherCure UV ink
- Finishing: Xeikon DCoat series, offline die cut
The Xeikon PX3000 has been the press of choice because there is no need for additional varnish or lamination to have chemical resistant labels. As well its high productivity of 50 m/min (164 ft/min) and the efficient workflow with automated setup.
What is the value of digital printing?
Every changing legislation makes it a challenge for brand owners to have a large stock of labels as they can become easily obsolete. This makes them switch to print-on-demand which allows for last minute changes when this would be needed while avoiding obsolete stock and waste costs. Newer emerging markets (for example electronic cigarettes) require also more flexibility in delivery pattern, varying quantities, etc.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- undistinguishable quality from your flexo production and as such provide a complement to flexo
- provides cross-over with flexo of at least 4,000 line meter (13,000 linear ft) or >70,000 labels
- no startup costs
- no job changeover costs on the same print media
- ability to print unlimited number versions (SKU’s) in one go
- ability to print single and full color variable information, integrated in the label
Which is the preferred digital press for industrial chemical labels?
The Xeikon PX3000 digital printing press. Our digital inkjet label printer using PantherCure UV inks and providing top speeds at at 50 m/min (164.5 ft/min):
- PantherCure UV inks: being scuff, water, chemical resistant without the need for additional converting steps such as lamination or UV varnishing
- full LED & mercury curing: less heat exposure to the heat sensitive substrate ensuring high quality labels
- UV inkjet: digital replacement for flexo and screen printing, providing the appealing tactile feel and glossy look
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see our solution for self-adhesive industrial chemical labels, the Xeikon PX3000 digital printing press for digital label printing.