Perfume bottles need to stand out on the shelf. Brand owners are looking for tools to give their product a luxury look and feel, tools to achieve high end, eye catching unique, entertaining and creative labels.
With no need for tooling and reduced setup times, this economical solution offers superior levels of creative quality finishing on smaller volumes of labels. The workflow integration built around the Xeikon X-800 Vectorizer will ultimately provide label convertors with all they need to effectively move towards total digital label print manufacturing.
The combined provision of digital printing and digital embellishment enables label printers to run high-end, short to medium-sized jobs at substantially reduced costs with a shorter time to market.
Here you can see a self-adhesive Perfume label sample printed on a Cheetah digital press.
- Print dimensions: 140mm x 120mm
- Substrate: Fasson – MC FSC S2000N BG40BR
- Toner: Cheetah toner CMYK + Superblack
- Finishing: Xeikon DCoat Series, offline die cut, embellishment FEU
The Xeikon CX500 has been the press of choice since it can achieve offset print quality allowing to migrate offset printed wet-glue labels to self-adhesive labels. The full rotary repeat length and variable repeat length provides the maximum productivity with a very accurate label positioning while additionally productivity gains by the broader web width (516 mm, 20.3”) are possible.
What is the value of digital printing?
It is typical in the Health and Beauty market that brand owners use embellishment on their labels to increase shelf appeal, look and feel and image of the brand. To apply these embellishments using the conventional processes it is obvious that label converters are looking at high tooling costs, long lead-times for the tooling and minimal flexibility.
With the Xeikon Fusion Embellishment Unit the advantages of digital printing are now available for high end embellishment as well:
- No tooling required = faster time to market and lower TCOP
- Variable designs / data and personalization
- Camera controlled registration of every single label that is printed
Which is the preferred digital press for self-adhesive health & beauty labels?
The Xeikon CX500 digital printing press also known as ‘the Cheetah’. Its top speed of 30 m/min (98 ft/min) makes the Xeikon CX500 the most productive 5-colour digital label press in its class with the ability to imprint on flexo pre-printed material without any special pre-coating:
- dry toner technology: ability to print on the broadest range of conventional materials with the highest quality, while offering color strength
- high quality printing: complementing gravure and offset, 1200 dpi with wide color gamut, custom spot colors and one-pass opaque white
- highest productivity due to the wider web width (515mm ; 20.3”) allow for more labels across
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see an example of a full production set-up for self-adhesive health & beauty labels: roll-to-roll line including a Xeikon CX500 digital label press, a Web Varnishing Module which adds a high-quality UV or water-based coating for protection and a Print Medium Rewinder suitable for widths up to 516 mm (20.3").
The printed substrate is preprinted on a flexo press holding a recurring foil item representing the brand. The different versions of the health and beauty products are then imprinted in the desired quantity by the Xeikon CX500. The Xeikon Preprinted Stock Sensor ensures a proper alignment of the full color image in reference to the foiled items.