In a world of ever-evolving consumerism, we are seeing significant and ongoing changes in behavioural patterns. Consumers are more discerning and brand owners are demanding more from their designers and printers. In packaging and retail, there is increasing pressure for creative innovation and higher levels of productivity.
Spirit labels cover a broad range from Whiskey and Gin to Vodka. Hence there is a broad range of print media, embellishment and print used to decorate the bottles which hold the spirit.
Using Xeikon’s Fusion Embellishment Unit, label printers with an existing portfolio of spirits labels will be able to achieve easy and fast proofing of new designs and faster times to market. With no need for tooling and reduced setup times, this economical solution offers superior levels of creative quality finishing on smaller volumes of labels. Any defined label area can automatically receive spot UV varnish with or without raised 3D texture effects. Similarly, for foiling applications the digital label area can receive digitally controlled foil with or without raised 3D effects with limited complexity compared to analogue.
Here you can see a self-adhesive spirit label sample printed on a Cheetah digital press.
- Print dimensions: 295x 140 mm
- Substrate: Fasson PP Top White S692N BG40WH
- Toner: One-pass opaque white, deep rich black Super black and standard Cheetah toner
- Finishing: Xeikon DCoat Series, die cut, slit rewind, embellishment FEU
The Xeikon CX500 has been the press of choice as it provides broad color gamut and offers one-pass opaque white in one and is complementary to conventional offset. The Xeikon CX500 is an affordable industrial printing press for professionals.
What is the value of digital printing?
It is typical in the wine and spirit market that brand owners use embellishment on their labels to increase shelf appeal, look and feel and image of the brand. To apply these embellishments using the conventional processes it is obvious that label con- verters are looking at high tooling costs, long lead-times for the tooling, substantial set-up times and minimal flexibility.
With the Xeikon Fusion Embellishment Unit (FEU) the advantages of digital printing are now available for high end embel- lishment as well:
- No tooling required = faster time to market and lower TCOP
- Minimal set-up time
- Ability to generate variable designs / data and personalization
- 2D, 3D, Haptic foiling and varnishing all in 1 platform
Which is the preferred digital press for self-adhesive spirit labels?
The Xeikon CX500 digital printing press. The narrow web flagship excels in productivity and high quality printing at true 1200 dpi, built around commonly used 330 mm (13" web width):
- dry toner technology: ability to print on the broadest range of conventional materials (clear-on-clear substrate and natural papers) with the highest quality, while offering color strength
- full rotary printing: ensures a consistent image positioning on the web required for finishing
- variable repeat length: allows for the printing of any type of label length minimizing waste, maximizing productivity
- high quality printing: 1200 dpi with wide color gamut and spot colors