A decoration technology which enables decorating after the injection and/or blow moulding process. This allows for later stage decoration compared to injection and blow mould labeling but a similar look and feel, becoming an integral part of the container. Current technologies provide a solution for small plastic container up to large size containers. The simplicity of the process enables printer but also moulder to embrace this technology and bring this in-house, gaining on time to market.
Here you can see a sample for heat transfer labels for industrial products printed on a Xeikon CX500 digital press.
- Print dimensions: 760 x 180 mm (1+2)
- Substrate: Transfer paper (siliconized or waxed, a primer is applied prior and a glue is applied post), printed in reversed color sequence and transferred afterwards to the industrial item by a heat transfer applicator
- Toner: Lightfast and OEKO-TEX® compliant Cheetah toner
- Finishing: Xeikon miniUCoat, water based glue applied, slit and rewind
The Xeikon CX500 has been the press of choice since it print width enables printing of large size HT-labels, the full rotary allows for printing labels of different length without losing productivity and last but not least the ability to substitute 2-3 direct-offset printing presses.
What is the value of digital printing?
The conventional process for industrial products is conventional heat transfer labels produced on either gravure, flexo or offset rotary presses. With the corresponding dimension of these decorations startup costs are relative high while run lengths are declining. On top of that these processes need to be very tightly controlled to guarantee the proper functioning of the labels in the decoration process. Dry toner digital technology solves this issue. (1) the dry toner process ensure a chemical stable end-result hence consistent functioning on the decorator (2) no startup costs (3) gravure image quality (4) ability to provide faster turnaround time which all helps build new revenue streams with higher profit margins, even on very small runs of different quantities of different sized labels.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- an alternative to traditional gravure, offset or flexo printing
- a reliable print process
- consistent color reproduction due to the closed eco system
Which is the preferred digital press for heat transfer labels for industrial products?
The Xeikon CX500 digital printing press. The flagship in digital dry toner printing, which produces at true 1200 dpi and stunning speed of 30 m/min (98 ft/min) while offering with its digital front-end full flexibility:
- dry toner technology: a stable chemical process ensuring consistency furthermore opaque white toner allows to print on the widest range of materials
- full rotary printing: ensures a consistent image positioning on the web required for finishing
- variable repeat length: allows for the printing of any type of label length minimizing waste (image larger than 2 m, 6 ft)
- high quality printing: 1200 dpi with wide color gamut and spot colors
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see an example of a full production set-up for heat transfer labels for industrial products (e.g. pails): roll-to-roll line including an inline priming module which applies a water-based primer, a Xeikon CX500 digital press and a miniUCoat which applies a water based glue and rewinder suitable for widths up to 520 mm (20.4"). It is our complete digital printing solution, which comes with all the necessary components for seamless digital printing.