Food labels are price sensitive due to the share of volume they represent in the market and shortlifetimes. Hence a lot of paper based materials are used and they have a specific requirement to be food safe. No brand owner wants to take the risk of a product re-
call which does not only represent a high cost but also damages the brand identity.
Wet-glue labeling still dominates in the food and beverage world, a pre-eminence founded on its traditional edge in terms of quality and – for longer print runs – lower cost. The materials used for these labels are papers which can be coated, uncoated, structured, and also metalized to create special effects.
Here you can see a wet glue food label sample printed on a Xeikon CX500 digital press.
- Substrate: Brigl & Bergmeister Niklaconcept Rock
- Toner: QB-I + 5th color
- Finishing: XeikonWeb Varnishing Module, Xeikon Print Medium Rewinder
The Xeikon CX500 has been the press of choice as its variable repeat length allows for any side label with a most efficient workflow due to its automated setup and is an affordable industrial printing press for professionals.
What is the value of digital printing?
More SKU’s demand for shorter runs. There is a large number of wet-glue label applicators installed in the market so rather than going to another decoration technique (such as self-adhesive labelling) there is a large potential for short-run wet-glue labels. Today’s choice of substrates, workflow and finishing enables printers to go digital for small series and customized runs in wet-glue labels.Furthermore, digital printing with Xeikon offers:
• Xeikon’s dry toner technology has a FDA food approval
• undistinguishable quality from your offset production and as such provide a complement to offset
• a cross-over with offset of at least 3,000 B2 sheets or 2,100 line meter (6,889 linear ft) or >70,000 labels
• no start-up costs
• no job changeover costs on the same print media
• ability to print unlimited number versions in one go