Oil labels come in a certain size, specifically in height, which would be on a press wider than 13” more productive (going from 1 lane to 2 means doubling capacity) . They do require light-fastness and chemical resistance which is guaranteed by the use of lightfast dry toner.
Self-adhesive labels as such (aka ‘pressure sensitive labels’ or PSL) are made by printing onto a laminated construction of 3 layers: a release liner (otherwise known as the backing paper, carrier or glassine), a layer or adhesive and the facestock material. The laminate is printed and then converted in a roll containing the requested number of labels per roll. A web-fed process brings a high label application speed on the packaging line and allows for more embellishing processes. In addition, its flexibility of application is enormous, either during or after the filling process and on any type of surface/container just by taking another glue.
Here you can see a self-adhesive oil label sample printed on a Xeikon CX500 digital press.
- Print dimensions: 98 x 150 mm
- Substrate: White PE facestock
- Toner: Lightfast Cheetah toner
- Finishing: Xeikon DCoat Series, offline die cut
The Xeikon CX500 has been the press of choice due to its quality level provided by the 1200 dpi print resolution. Productivity gains because of its web width allowing for multi large sized label across the web and through the printing speed of 30 m/min (98 ft/min).
What is the value of digital printing?
Every changing legislation makes it a challenge for brand owners to have a large stock of labels as they can become easily obsolete. Additionally, there is trend for more diversified product for different type, for example car engines or private labels from gas stations e.g. Shell or Total. Hence they switch to print-on-demand which allows for last minutes changes when this would be needed, and also avoids obsolete stock and wasted costs.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- higher cost efficiencies with run lengths of up to 4,000 line meter (13,000 linear ft)
- the possibility to match offset quality complementing the conventional printing
Which is the preferred digital press for self-adhesive oil labels?
The Xeikon CX500 digital label press. The outperformer of all high quality dry toner digital label presses in terms of productivity, thanks to its unique web width (up to 520 mm/20.47") and its full rotary printing with speeds at 30 m/min (98 ft/min):
- dry toner technology: allows you to achieve high quality, even on challenging print media and provides required durability (light-fastness)
- 520 mm/20.4” web width : ensures productivity allowing for large size labels to be placed across the web
- roll-fed printing: ensures higher productivity and reduces the material waste
- high quality printing: 1200 dpi allows to achieve offset quality level or beyond
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see an example of a full production set-up for self-adhesive oil labels: roll-to-roll line including a Xeikon CX500 digital label press, a Web Varnishing Module which adds a high-quality UV or water-based coating for protection and a Print Medium Rewinder suitable for widths up to 520 mm (20.4"). It is our complete digital printing solution, which comes with all the necessary components for seamless digital label printing.