Beer labels, like used for craft beer are mainly using uncoated, natural papers enriched with color print and embellishments. The producers have such pride in their products that they only want to have the best to decorate their hard work captured in the bottle.
Self-adhesive labels as such (aka ‘pressure sensitive labels’ or PSL) are made by printing onto a laminated construction of 3 layers: a release liner (otherwise known as the backing paper, carrier or glassine), a layer or adhesive and the facestock material. The laminate is printed and then converted in a roll containing the requested number of labels per roll. A web-fed process brings a high label application speed on the packaging line and allows for more embellishing processes. In addition, its flexibility of application is enormous, either during or after the filling process and on any type of surface/container just by taking another glue.
Here you can see a self-adhesive embossed beer label sample printed on a Xeikon 3300 digital press.
- Print dimensions: 90 x 125 mm
- Substrate: Standard machine coated facestock
- Toner: Deep rich black SuperBlack, CMY and UV reflective toner
- Finishing: DCoat Series, varnish and offline die cut
The Xeikon 3300 has been the press of choice because its 5 printing station enable the use of (unique) custom colors and it achieves high quality on standard flexo material. The Xeikon 3300 is an affordable industrial printing press for professionals.
What is the value of digital printing?
There is a growing need for shorter runs of different kind of labels. The consumer market is getting more diverse which also fuels new (craft) breweries to rise up. Digital printing offers the ability to produce these shorter run lengths at an affordable price, and without compromising on their existing brand colors or quality.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- the highest quality with the 1200 dpi print resolution
- cost efficient for run lengths of 4,000 line meter (13,000 linear ft)
- no startup costs
- instant job change-over without additional substrate waste
- the ability to automate the manufacturing process (order intake, job preparation…)
Which is the preferred digital press for self-adhesive embossed beer labels?
The Xeikon CX3 digital printing press. The narrow web flagship excels in productivity and high quality printing at true 1200 dpi, built around commonly used 330 mm (13" web width):
- dry toner technology: ability to print on the broadest range of conventional materials (clear-on-clear substrate and natural papers) with the highest quality, while offering color strength
- full rotary printing: ensures a consistent image positioning on the web required for finishing
- variable repeat length: allows for the printing of any type of label length minimizing waste
- high quality printing: 1200 dpi with wide color gamut and spot colors
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see an example of a full production set-up for self-adhesive embossed beer labels: a roll-to-roll Self-adhesive Label Suite with a two stage production process - (1) printing and (2) embellishing and converting. The Xeikon CX3 will create the full color graphic either in CMYK or with an extended gamut which increased the color space or with a specific customer color. The embellishment (hot foil, tactile varnish, spot varnish) is applied in an offline process inline with the converting process. It is our complete digital printing solution, which comes with all the necessary components for seamless digital label printing.