Durable labels have to comply to the most harsh type of conditions (inside car parts, electronics, years outdoor): long lifetime, light-fastness, chemical resistant and temperature resistant. For these conditions special facestocks are required, (PET, PC, ...). Glues which withstand the harsh conditions and these labels are not necessarily very large in size.
Self-adhesive labels as such (aka ‘pressure sensitive labels’ or PSL) are made by printing onto a laminated construction of 3 layers: a release liner (otherwise known as the backing paper, carrier or glassine), a layer or adhesive and the facestock material. The laminate is printed and then converted in a roll containing the requested number of labels per roll. This web-fed decoration process allows for high labelling speeds on the packaging line, no label look feeling and enable the opportunity for more embellishing processes. In addition, its flexibility of application is enormous, either during or after the filling process and on any type of surface/container.
Here you can see a durable label sample printed on a Xeikon PX3000 digital press.
- Print dimensions: 246 x 110 mm
- Substrate: Synthetic substrate to ensure conformability of the label on the container and provide a uniform gloss
- Toner/Ink: UL certified PantherCure UV ink
- Finishing: Xeikon DCoat series, offline die cut
The Xeikon PX3000 has been the press of choice due to is limited substrate waste and short web path. As well as the durable characteristics of the PantherCure UV inks and its high productivity of 50 m/min (164 ft/min).
What is the value of digital printing?
Every changing legislation makes it a challenge for brand owners to maintain large stocks of labels as they can become easily obsolete. Hence they switch to print on demand, allowing last minutes changes when needed and as such avoiding obsolete stocks and associated costs.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- undistinguishable quality from your flexo or screen production and as such provide a complement to flexo or screen printing
- provides cross-over with offset of at least 4,000 line meter (13,000 linear ft) or >70,000 labels
- no startup costs
- no job changeover costs on the same print media
- ability to print unlimited number versions (SKU’s) in one go
Which is the preferred digital press for durables?
The Xeikon PX3000 digital printing press. Our digital inkjet label printer using PantherCure UV inks and providing top speeds at at 50 m/min (164.5 ft/min):
- PantherCure UV inks: being scuff, water, chemical resistant without the need for additional converting steps such as lamination or UV varnishing
- Full LED & mercury curing: less heat exposure to the heat sensitive substrate ensuring high quality labels
- UV inkjet: digital replacement for flexo and screen printing, providing that appealing tactile feel and glossy look
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see our solution for self-adhesive industrial chemical labels, the Xeikon PX3000 digital printing press for digital label printing.