This type of Premium beer labels prefer the use of clear-on-clear label to achieve the ‘no-label look’ on the glass bottles. Certain countries require the labels to be washed of during the recycling process. Specific glues have been developed by self-adhesive label substrate manufacturers.
Self-adhesive labels as such (aka ‘pressure sensitive labels’ or PSL) are made by printing onto a laminated construction of 3 layers: a release liner (otherwise known as the backing paper, carrier or glassine), a layer or adhesive and the facestock material. The laminate is printed and then converted in a roll containing the requested number of labels per roll. A web-fed process brings a high label application speed on the packaging line and allows for more embellishing processes. In addition, its flexibility of application is enormous, either during or after the filling process and on any type of surface/container just by taking another glue.
Here you can see a self-adhesive premium beer label sample printed on a Xeikon PX3000 digital press.
- Print dimensions: 90 x 65 mm
- Substrate: transparent BoPP clear on clear label construction
- Toner/Ink: Glossy and tactile PantherCure UV ink
- Finishing: Xeikon DCoat Series, offline die cut
The Xeikon PX3000 has been the press of choice since the web width suites the common size of the labels and the opacity provided by the white PantherCure UV ink. The tactile appearance of the Panther UV ink makes it a look-a-like of Screen printing.
What is the value of digital printing?
There is growing trend of Premium beers diversifying their product or just their packaging (personal) to the consumers in response to the growing craft beer labels. The premium beers are not necessarily able to experiment as much as the small local breweries but through packaging they can still stand out. Not everybody is able to handle the clear on clear label materials on the applicators, which is a sought after appearance by the younger generation and used a lot by brand owners. Digital printing offers them the ability to produce shorter run lengths at an affordable price, and without compromising on their existing brand colors or quality since they need labels with eye-catching colors that stand out on the shelf. With digital, random variable image printing of multi-designs for premium labels, all in one run, is made possible.
Furthermore digital printing with Xeikon offers:
- application tuned digital printing technology and related consumables
- higher cost efficiencies with run lengths of up to 4,000 line meter (13,000 linear ft)
- design changeovers without extra costs
- reduction of start costs and waste drastically
- the ability to print the volume required by the market rather than the volume required to get the best label manufacturing costs which leads to more waste
Which is the preferred digital press for self-adhesive premium beer labels?
The Xeikon PX3000 digital printing press. Our digital inkjet label printer using PantherCure UV inks and providing top speeds at at 50 m/min (164.5 ft/min):
- PantherCure UV inks: being scuff, water, chemical resistant without the need for additional converting steps such as lamination or UV varnishing
- full LED & mercury curing: less heat exposure to the heat sensitive substrate ensuring high quality labels
- UV inkjet: digital replacement for flexo and screen printing, providing that special tactile feel and glossy look
Which is the preferred digital production solution?
Below you can see our solution for self-adhesive beer labels, the Xeikon PX3000 digital printing press for digital label printing.